I had a founder tell me their hand-reg “DemoStack” was “basically worth Prism money” because both words are English. Full disclosure: I have repeated broker comps without verifying the underlying sale. That habit dies fast when you are advising someone’s treasury. Domain investing for demo SaaS is a comps game in 2026 — especially after mid-band .app trades made headlines.
When should a demo or sales-enablement tool buy .app vs chase .com after mid-band .app comps? Here is the framework I use in September 2026 — with reported sales context and a decision table.
Sale database: NameBio. Industry reporting: DNJournal. Community texture: NamePros. Pricing primer: app domain pricing after SUPA. Hubs: premium domains, domain tools, acquisition FAQ.
What changed in .app comps for SaaS demo tools?
Investors read domain blogs now. When reported sales cluster in the mid five figures and above for short .app stems, founders anchor budgets there even when their name is longer or more descriptive. That is not irrational — it is incomplete math.
Reported examples investors cite in 2026 conversations include SUPA.app around $41,000 (private sale reporting), Exe.app around $35,000 in public rollup coverage, and Prism.app around $120,000 as a higher-band data point. I treat those as reported comps — texture for negotiation, not a formula that says your demo SaaS name equals Prism.
My take? Filter comps by length, semantics, and liquidity — then decide if .app is a launch home or a strategic buy you finance after ARR proves the category.
| Path | When it wins | 2026 comp signal | Trap |
|---|---|---|---|
| Buy clean .app early | PLG demo is the wedge; name on every outbound | Mid-band reported .app sales | Overpaying vs revenue |
| Hand-reg + upgrade later | Pre-PMF, unclear category | Low burn | Rebrand tax at scale |
| Chase .com after .app launch | Enterprise inbox trust | .com liquidity premium | Squatter fantasy asks |
| Lease / brand protection | Cash tight, name must-have | Varies | Lease-to-own fine print |
| Ignore domains | Never — wrong row | N/A | Phishing-looking links |
Method 1: Build a comp set like an investor, not a fan
Before you choose app vs com for a demo tool, build a spreadsheet adults can audit.
- Query NameBio for .app sales in your semantic lane — Verb, noun, length buckets.
- Cross-check DNJournal weeklies — Catch rollups NameBio indexing lags.
- Read NamePros dispute and sale threads — Separate verified from rumor.
- Tag each comp as reported vs asking — Asking prices are not sales.
- Discard outliers without narrative — One Prism does not price every prism pun.
Honestly, step four stops the worst board slides. Asking is not closing.
When does buying .app beat waiting for .com?
When your interactive demo link is the product billboard and the .app stem is speakable in one breath. HTTPS defaults match “click and try” flows. Mid-band reported sales tell you liquidity exists for quality .app inventory — which changes the ROI math versus 2019 hand-reg culture.
Read app domain pricing after SUPA for how I frame post-SUPA buyer psychology without inventing appraisals.
When should you still chase .com?
When procurement, email deliverability, or partner integrations punish non-.com senders in your ICP. Some teams launch on .app and budget .com as a Series A line item. That is rational if the .com ask is six figures fantasy — not if a fair .com is reachable and you keep sending investor updates from a hyphenated workaround.
Use domain tools to map redirects before you announce a dual-extension strategy. Demo products break when links do.
Method 2: Run the treasury-friendly decision tree
This is the tree I walk with demo SaaS founders after mid-band .app headlines.
- Estimate twelve-month demo-sourced pipeline — Name on every touchpoint?
- Price .app premium vs hand-reg — Include rebrand cost if you wait.
- Quote .com alternatives honestly — Broker asks are not comps until closed.
- Stress-test with three reported comps max — SUPA / Exe / Prism tier awareness, not worship.
- Choose escrow for any check that hurts — Sleep matters.
Game changer: modeling rebrand cost at month eighteen when ARR finally works — that number shocks teams into early .app buys.
What does DemoNow.app illustrate in this market?
Action-plus-immediacy stems sit in the same buyer conversation as demo SaaS — browse DemoNow.app once as a product-shaped example on .app. I am not claiming it comps to Prism; I am showing how clean verbs look on the extension investors now respect after reported mid-band trades.
Second mention only if your board needs a tangible listing: DemoNow.app is a soft CTA posture, not financial advice.
How do forums and journals change your bid?
NamePros catches sentiment shifts before they hit slide decks. DNJournal weeklies help you cite dates when a partner says “domains are dead.” Pair both with NameBio filters so you are not negotiating blind.
When a broker cites Prism.app energy for a mediocre stem, ask for the closest reported sale in length and category. Silence is data.
What mistakes do demo tools make after comp headlines?
Overpaying descriptive phrases. Ignoring .com defense while enterprise pilots stall. Treating private sale rumors as gospel. I have seen teams anchor on $120,000 psychology when their buyer is a solo founder with a Loom link.
Browse premium domains with a comp column filled first. The acquisition FAQ covers escrow milestones when you are ready to close.
How do I pick app vs com this quarter?
Buy the speakable root that matches your demo GTM, finance it with reported comps not fantasies, and chase .com when your buyer’s inbox proves you must — not when a squatter sends a screenshot of a parked page.
Revisit app domain pricing after SUPA whenever a new rollup drops. Markets move faster than your Notion doc.





