ICANN dropped the number on September 22, 2026 and my inbox lit up with "should we wait for the new TLD?" Full disclosure: I wanted to wait too — patience feels sophisticated. Then I remembered launch calendars do not pause for registry theater.

This ICANN Reveal Day startup naming checklist helps founders secure .com, .app, or .ai homes before mid-October 2026 string reveals reprice every naming conversation.

Primary source: ICANN confirms 1,616 applications proceeding. Registry hub: ICANN.org. Comps: NameBio. USA extension guide: USA startup domain choice for .com, .app, and .ai. Hubs: premium domains, tools, FAQ.

Quick answer: should startups delay naming until Reveal Day?

No — lock a defensible primary domain now unless your only buyer story requires a specific unrevealed gTLD string.

ChoiceReveal Day riskCost of waitingBest for
.com flagshipLow — already liquidCompetitors register alternatesUSA default trust
.app product homeLowApp Store name driftSoftware-native brands
.ai category signalMedium — SI headline noiseMiss September compsAI-native products
Unrevealed new gTLDHigh — unknown pricingLaunch slipsNiche registry bets only
Premium aftermarket .comLowPrice rises with hypeSeries A rebrand windows

ICANN's 1,616 proceeding applications is a policy fact — not a mandate to freeze your WHOIS cart.

What did ICANN confirm on 22 September 2026?

ICANN announced that 1,616 paid new gTLD applications are proceeding in the 2026 application round, with Reveal Day expected no later than approximately mid-October 2026 for applied-for strings.

I've lived through prior Reveal Days. Forums spike. Brokers get busy. Founders postpone decisions that should have shipped last month. The number is big. Your launch calendar is still yours.

Why does Reveal Day matter for startup naming?

Because new strings change the option set on slide ten — and investors ask "why not the new TLD?" in every office hour the week after reveal.

My take? Have an answer ready. Default USA software trust still lives on .com and .app. A hypothetical .whatever does not replace email deliverability habits overnight.

How do September 2026 sales fit this policy week?

NameBio day board texture around September 23 included Ragent.com at $45,000 and SuperintelligenceAI.com at $39,888 — real money still moved on .com while ICANN counted applications.

Policy headlines and aftermarket liquidity run on different tracks. I still pull comps on NameBio when founders ask if domains are "dead" because ICANN posted a press release.

Method 1: Pre-Reveal Day domain lock checklist

  1. Write your one-sentence brand job — product, audience, geography.
  2. Search .com, .app, and .ai in one sitting — do not split across weeks.
  3. Register defensible variants you will actually use — not forty defensive hacks.
  4. Read USA startup domain choice — extension pick before logo spend.
  5. Screen trademarks before premium bids — Reveal Day does not pause USPTO.
  6. Document auth codes in a password manager — chaos kills transfers later.

Step two is where I see founders lose SplitScreen-style product names to typosquats.

Method 2: Split-screen and productivity naming on .app

  1. Match domain to App Store title where possible — drift hurts ads.
  2. Prefer compounds that describe the job — split screen, dual pane, focus.
  3. Browse premium domains for clean .app stems — after homework, not before.
  4. Study SplitScreen.app — dual-pane semantics without waiting for new gTLDs.
  5. Route escrow questions through FAQ — premium buys need adult mechanics.

When a founder wants multitasking clarity now, I point at SplitScreen.app once — then we return to ICANN timelines.

Method 3: After Reveal Day — how to evaluate new strings

  1. Wait for official string list and registry policies — not forum leaks alone.
  2. Compare renewal pricing to .com hold cost — cheap year one traps exist.
  3. Check email and SSO compatibility — IT departments block unknown TLDs.
  4. Keep NameBio open for .com comps — new TLD hype does not erase September prints.
  5. Re-read ICANN announcements monthly — dates slip.

I've registered novelty TLDs that never saw traffic. Tuition is expensive.

Should you overweight new gTLDs after 1,616 applications?

Only if your buyer story truly lives there — fintech on a banking-themed string, for example. Generic SaaS still wins on .com and .app in USA pitch rooms.

Light reference only: federal super intelligence wording shifted SI acronym chatter in September 2026 — we covered that policy arc in earlier September pieces without reprinting the whole UN thread here.

What tools help before Reveal Day?

Domain tools for availability and redirect audits. NameBio for pricing floors. ICANN primary docs for policy facts — not recycled blog summaries.

How do investors read ICANN numbers without freezing founders?

Domain investors love application counts because they imply future supply. Founders should care about launch dates, renewal pricing, and whether their buyer pool types emails on unknown extensions. I share ICANN links with cap-table folks so policy facts stay separate from brand decisions.

Reported September aftermarket rows — SuperintelligenceAI.com at $39,888, CryptoSI.com at $9,877 — show keyword and niche .com still clearing while ICANN counts apps. Liquidity did not pause for press releases.

What documentation should you prepare before premium buys?

Auth codes, registrar login MFA, trademark PDFs, and escrow agreement drafts belong in a folder before you negotiate. Reveal Day hype makes sellers impatient; unprepared buyers lose names to faster teams.

Who should watch SplitScreen.app for naming posture?

Productivity and dual-pane founders who need immediate semantic clarity on .app while ICANN counts applications. I send them SplitScreen.app as a single example — not a shopping list — then return to registrar carts.

If your MVP demo requires split-screen language in the URL, waiting for Reveal Day is usually procrastination dressed as strategy.

What would I do if I were incorporating this week?

I would register my best .com and .app pair, file trademarks, and ship a landing page. I would not bet the company on an unrevealed string. I would keep SplitScreen.app in mind for productivity-shaped brands that need immediate clarity.

My close: ICANN's 1,616 proceeding applications and mid-October 2026 Reveal Day expectation are real — so is September aftermarket liquidity on NameBio. Lock names before hype reprices conversations. Your cap table will thank you.